#07 Walking Tour - Church of Saint Konstantinos & Helena
Which church in Heraklion city celebrates on May 21?
A few meters away from the city center of Heraklion, on a small hill, is the municipal cemetery of Saint Konstantinos and Helena, which took its name from its church. The church of Saint Konstantinos and Helena is one of the oldest churches in the city, known for its great history and architecture, but also for the many people’s stories narrate.
The church was founded in 1893, and its construction was completed on May 25, 1985. Its architecture and decoration are two of the reasons why so many people from all over the world visit it!
Take a good look at the photos from our tourist guide This Is Crete:
- How many indoor and outdoor areas does the temple have?
- How many colors do you see? Which parts of the temple are colored?
- What designs do you notice on the temple? What shape are the windows?
Don't forget to find the secret paper with the key between the photos. Maybe somewhere would help us! After exploring the temple building well, close your eyes and imagine its interior. How would you draw the church from the inside?
Have a good exploration!
- The church of St. Constantine and Helena is dedicated to the memory of the Roman Emperor Constantine the Great and to his mother Helena for all that they have offered and sacrificed for the good of mankind. The church celebrates the two Saints on May 21.
- Don't forget to find out more about the church of Agios Konstantinos and Eleni here. Explore the indoors and outdoors areas of the temple, read about the history of the cemetery and take a tour of the Burial Museum.
- Look up your school books and your home’s books and find more information about the Roman Emperor Constantine the Great. What other emperors became Saints?